[mythtv-users] channel numbering is messed up: BBC ONE was 1, is now 4173

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 00:35:07 UTC 2011

On 25 April 2011 22:48, UB40D <ub40dd at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 4/25/11, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 25 April 2011 18:27, UB40D <ub40dd at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> I am running mythbuntu 10.10 with a DVB-T-only Hauppauge dual tuner.
>>>
>>> Recently, possibly following a rescan/retune after digital switchover,
>>> the mapping between the channels and their numbers has been messed up.
>>> For example: BBC ONE used to be 1, but now it's both 1 and 4173, and
>>> actually the "1" instance doesn't work.
>>>
>>> More specifically:
>>>
>>>  Frontend / Manage recordings / Schedule recordings / Search lists /
>>> Channels
>>>
>>> gives me a listing that starts with an ok-looking
>>>
>>> 1 BBC ONE
>>> 2 BBC TWO
>>> 3 ITV1
>>> [...etc, but continues with...]
>>> 4173 BBC ONE
>>> 4287 BBC TWO
>>> 4288 BBC THREE
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> The more serious problem is that selecting "1 BBC ONE" gives me "No
>>> listings found for this program"! I do however get the expected
>>> listings if I scroll all the way down to "4173 BBC ONE" and select
>>> that.
>>>
>>> How can I fix things so that I get rid of the duplicates and put back
>>> the channels where they belong? A new full rescan has not solved it.
>>
>> Delete and recreate the video source, and _then_ do a full scan. This
>> will restore the Freeview channel numbering and your EIT listings.
>> Your current video source contains a mixture of working/non-working
>> channels from multiple scans, which as you have seen is a broken
>> configuration.
> Thanks! It's recording now or I'd do it straight away.
>
> Once I do it, am I guessing correctly that previously scheduled
> recordings will become invalid, or will they auto-correct back from
> (say) 4173 to 1?

Please don't top-post to this list.

Ordinary recording rules do not use the channel number (channum) for
scheduling purposes, but rather the channel callsign - "BBC ONE" etc.
As long as your newly-scanned channels have the same callsigns as your
old channels (which they should if you're just doing a DVB-T rescan)
your recording rules should continue to work as they did before.

The channel number is used for display purposes in the EPG, LiveTV
browser, and for program details.

Cheers,
Nick

--