[mythtv-users] RAID: full disk or partition (was: Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID)

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 02:28:24 UTC 2011

On 27 April 2011 12:16, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not that I know of. Usually in when it assembles drives that don't
> make up an array for me I see these in /proc/mdstat and after stopping
> the broken arrays that were autoassembled I am then able to zero the
> superblock on the disks.

The problem is that both /dev/sdd and /dev/sdd1 contains a MD
superblock for an array with the same UUID ; when I formatted the disk
and created the partition, it obviously didn't properly removed the
original md superblock.

So now md is confused and doesn't restart automatically.

I tried to modify /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf so it only looks in the
appropriate partition ; this helps starts the raid drive from the
command line without error ; but not so after a reboot.

Tad annoying...
JY