[mythtv-users] channel numbering is messed up: BBC ONE was 1, is now 4173

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 00:57:45 UTC 2011

On 26 April 2011 18:04, UB40D <ub40dd at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Please don't top-post to this list.
>
> Sorry: I hate top posting too but gmail has it as default and
> sometimes catches me out. If you can tell me how to disable it I'll be
> grateful!

Best I have:

If web-based: <Del><Del><Ctrl-End>
If client-based: Configure replies to start below the message body

>> Ordinary recording rules do not use the channel number (channum) for
>> scheduling purposes, but rather the channel callsign - "BBC ONE" etc.
>> As long as your newly-scanned channels have the same callsigns as your
>> old channels (which they should if you're just doing a DVB-T rescan)
>> your recording rules should continue to work as they did before.
>
> Great!
>
>> The channel number is used for display purposes in the EPG, LiveTV
>> browser, and for program details.
>
> Since you obviously know this stuff, do you also know why a full
> rescan without deleting the source results in those messed up numbers?
> Why would anyone want to do it?

I'm by no means an expert on this, but I'm guessing that the existing
channels were detected as duplicates of those channels found on the
new scan. As the existing channels were already configured with the
Freeview logical channel numbers (1, 2, 4, 4, etc) the new channels
were configured with new non-clashing channel numbers (based on their
transmitted serviceid), which is why you saw channel numbers in the
4000+-range.

I haven't done any testing of the channel scanner since the lead-up to
the 0.24 release, so I'm not sure how well it currently handles
identical channels found during a rescan. I'll look into it when I
have more time.

> By the way: many thanks again. Deleting and recreating the video
> source did fix the original problem!

Great!

Cheers,
Nick