[mythtv-users] Window focus issue in welcome screen

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Apr 29 14:06:30 UTC 2011

On 04/29/2011 02:12 AM, francis3 wrote:
> * francis3m [210411, 22:17]:
> [...]
>> When I press the "OK" remote button (or the "enter" key in the
>> keyboard) in the welcome screen of the mythtv box now the screen
>> remains stuck on the welcome page.
> Just for the archive record.
> I was not able to solve the issue in a couple of days.
> So I switched to the window manager ratpoison.

OK, I realize that this response is a bit late--I had tagged your first
message "Later", but didn't get to it before you found a workaround.

FWIW, using RatPoison as a Window Manager is a great solution.

If you really want to use Fluxbox, you can make it work, but it's
challenging.  Current Fluxbox supports "true" full-screen windows as
specified by the Extended Window Manager Hints specification (windows
with the hint _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN), and since MythTV is now using a
real full-screen window (i.e. it's now setting the WM hint, and not just
making a window with the same dimensions as the screen), Fluxbox's
handling of MythTV windows has changed.  When Fluxbox sees this hint, it
assumes that full screen implies maximized and, therefore, the window
should be on top, above the dock (so you don't see the dock on top of
your MythTV window).  It seems that when you have multiple full-screen
apps, it may not order them properly within that layer.  So, you should
be able to fix the issue by using the apps file to specify different
layers for the different fullscreen windows you use (to make sure
mythfrontend is always on top of mythwelcome, but that mplayer or xine
is always on top of mythfrontend or whatever).  Note, also, that even
though there are "named" layers (accessible through the Fluxbox menu),
there are also additional (numbered-only) layers available.

Configuring the apps file is left as an exercise to the reader...  ;)
http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title=Editing_the_apps_file

Mike