[mythtv-users] Mythbackend on VMware Server with DVB-tuners

Moasat - mythtv mythtv at moasat.dyndns.org
Fri Apr 29 14:45:23 UTC 2011

> All in all, a virtualized backend, even with PCI/USB tuners,
> is possible
> but personally I would prefer some other solution than VMware
> Server (I
> will try out VMware ESXi).
>
> Fredrik

Try VirtualBox for full virtualization.  Works pretty good in headless mode.
I don't use the Web GUI but I know it has one.  VB does full USB passthru as
well.

If you don't need to try new kernels, look at LXC (Linux Containers).
Pretty good for running different distros with a good set of resource
management using the kernel's cgroups.  Sort of like chroot on steroids.