[mythtv-users] Mythbackend on VMware Server with DVB-tuners

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 16:20:59 UTC 2011

> > Some say that its overkill to run virtualization at home
> > I have to disagree
>
> No, it's simply overkill.
> Anything in the userland can be completely isolated from the rest of the

Sure it can, but it's a lot easier to use a VM. For example, how many
users know how to run two parallel installations of Myth on one host
without them stepping on the other? On the other hand, anybody can use
a VM and It Just Works (tm) without a large investment in time and
labor and technical knowledge. Plus, a VM is easier to back up and
restore separately from the rest of your system, can be moved to a
different host easily, and you never have to worry about an upgrade in
the VM breaking something on your host OS or in another VM. At work
we've saved literally hundreds of thousands of dollars in hardware and
just as much in labor by switching to VMs for 95% of what we do -- VMs
are here to stay, no doubt about it.

I have to say, I think it's kind of funny that those of us running
low-power ARM devices as Myth MBEs are shunned for using "not real"
hardware and those of us using Atom / VDPAU for FEs are continually
warned of their "limitations" and are told to buy expensive
fire-breathing systems instead. If using a VM is "overkill", then it
seems like using big, hot, power hungry systems for Myth would also be
overkill, no?

I'd say anyone running the recommended multi-core, multi-gig,
multi-spindle Myth system already has so much hardware overkill that
the tiny overhead of running a VM is a drop in the bucket.