[mythtv-users] Hiss intermittently replacing audio on playback

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 00:18:58 UTC 2011

Hi

On Monday, 1 August 2011, D. R. Newman <d.r.newman at e-consultation.org>
wrote:
> For the last month or so, I have had an intermittent problem on
> playback. Sometimes, when starting to play back a TV recording, instead
> of getting the soundtrack of the programme, I get a loud hiss. If I move
> forward or back and then start playing again, it often picks up the
> audio track and starts playing it. I do not get the same problem when
> playing the same file in mplayer or Dragon Player.
>
> Where should I start looking to track down the cause of this problem?

Using pulse audio I assume?

A few options to get this pulse issue: use native Alsa. Use ALSA:pulse
driver (which is pulse's alsa emulation).

If you do want to use native pulse driver for some reason, change the pulse
server sampling rate from 44.1kHz default to 48kHz.

For some reasons, when pulse have to resample to 44.1kHz, it sometimes plays
a loud hiss.

Jean-Yves