[mythtv-users] Building a database of cablecard encryption (CCI) details

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 14:28:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Patrick Oglesby <octoberblu3 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>
> wrote:
> > That's odd. I've only seen a copy protection other than CCI one time, and
> it
> > was only when I didn't have my cablecard install (running in QAM mode).
> One
> > of the channels that comes up as Copy Control Information: "Copy Free"
> (00)
> > with a cablecard comes up as Redistribution Control: "One Copy" (0x02) in
> > QAM mode. But I'm fairly certain that doesn't stop you from recording it.
> > think it's just reporting what protection is present, but I believe the
> > Ceton will only enforce the CCI protections. Have you attempted to record
> > something on it?
>
> I added my lineup last night.  All of my ClearQAM channels came up
> Unknown / None, but not all of the reported Unknown / None channels
> are available in ClearQAM.
>
> I have CCI info for almost every other channel, but I certainly do not
> subscribe to all of them.  If I am reading this right, then having a
> CCI of 0x00 on the HD versions of basic cable channels (USA, TNT, etc)
> means if I upgrade to there "HD" service, then these channels *should*
> work properly with MythTV.
>
> - Patrick

In theory you are correct.  Is there another field in the channel info to
indicate that you do not subscribe to the channel?  This is probably an
undefined situation.  You might just be seeing initialized values that do
not get populated because you do not subscribe to the channel.  The Ceton
might not even get to code to populate these values internally in this
situation.  If you subscribed, then you would most likely see some copy
protection in place.  I could be wrong.

-Tom