[mythtv-users] Backend setup for win-hvr-950Q

Barry Fawthrop barry at trumpetsoftruth.com
Mon Aug 1 17:45:35 UTC 2011

On 08/01/2011 12:13 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 20:27 -0400, Barry Fawthrop wrote:
>> Yes this is the first time
>> sadly I can't get digital or analog to work with MythTV
>> just a blank screen everytime I try to watch TV
>
> Barry;
>
> I just put an HVR-950Q in an ubuntu 10.04 machine running
> MythTV 0.25pre yesterday.
>
> I put in Mark Lord's: options xc5000 no_poweroff=1
> recommendation.
>
> Using the supplied antenna for over-the-air digital
> (ATSC) recption.
>
> I set up as recommended, except that since your fifth
> post has EIT turned on, I did too. (Huge fan of Schedules
> Direct, and will never go back to EIT personally.)
>
> Problems:
>
> 1st: When scanning for channels, my box locked up (no mouse,
> keyboard, ssh session...) The 950Q was in a USB slot next
> to my cordless mouse, so I moved it to a slot with neither
> of the pair in use. Doesn't sound like your case, but won't
> hurt to try it.
>
> 2nd: I recommend manually stopping the backend before
> running mythtv-setup. Use: sudo stop mythtv-backend, of
> course you have to restart it with: sudo start mythtv-backend.
>
> If the backend isn't stopped, then in Capture Card Setup,
> Frontend ID: shows "ERROR" rather than "Auvitek AU8522 QAM".
>
> I'm still trying to figure this out, but the default "killall
> mythbackend" may not play well with upstart.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Bill

Okay perhaps needed a good reset  rebooted and started again from the
beginning

It now sees the Card:   Aivutek au8522

When scanning I get a number lines like
QAM-256 Channel 124 -- Timed out, 4 possible channels
Program 1221, Encrypted
Program 1447, Encrypted
Program 2194, Encrypted
Program 2354, Encrypted
QAM-256 Channel 125 -- Timed out, 4 possible channels
Program 1271, Encrypted
Program 1443, Encrypted
Program 2109, Encrypted
Not looking very promising with all the Timed out ??

Then ran mythfilldatabase --refresh-all

Now when I open the frontend and select Watch TV
I get the TV guide  and in the top right corner a picture
When I down arrow to a channel I want it highlights it but the little
picture goes blank
and looks hung  can't change channels more select nothing .....

Side Question  What is the best Analog  and digital card that works with
Myth ?
and just how good it the hvr-950Q with myth ?

thanks again to all