[mythtv-users] Protocol: Used HDHRs

Patrick Oglesby octoberblu3 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 20:14:07 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>>

>> ebay works, but for anyone upgrading, I recommend that you think twice
>> about letting go of the traditional HDHR.  It's still a very useful
>> tuner, and it can record some channels that the Ceton/Prime cannot if
>> they have a cable card installed.
>>

> Can you explain that, or point me to something with more info? I must have
> missed some details on the recent Prime thread, and am wondering what
> channels the Prime can't get with a CC installed.

Basically, it is possible that on a ClearQAM channel, no CCI
information is set (not the same as CCI=0x00), which causes a
CableCARD device to then look for other protection schemes, whereas a
ClearQAM tuner will just tune an unencrypted (but possibly still copy
protection flagged via something besides CCI) and ignore any flags
present.

In my area, this is not the case and my Ceton can pick up anything my
HVR-2250 can as well, but the ClearQAM tuner lets me use MultiRec
which allows nice overlapping recordings by a minute or two to ensure
I get all of the program.  You don't get to use MultiRec with a
CableCARD tuner.

- Patrick