[mythtv-users] Anybody considered capturing audio and video separately?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Aug 3 18:16:26 UTC 2011

Right now, the only solution for capturing 1080i content from a
satellite dish receiver while also preserving the 5.1 audio seems to be
the HD-PVR. Given the cost and the serious possibility for lost
recordings, I don't consider this a viable solution.

In looking around on the interwebs, I discovered a number of products
that can capture component video over USB. Some of them will even do
compression on the fly. The problem is that, with the exception of the
HD-PVR (and Colossus, for which there is no Linux driver), all of the
other devices capture the audio in stereo only.

This got me to thinking: Isn't it possible to use the digital input of a
modern sound card for audio capture, while using a USB dongle for video?
Then, it would be a simple (is it?) matter of combining the two and
making sure they sync up. Has anyone tried this?