[mythtv-users] Setup of VOD VLC stream

Stephen Atkins satkins at inetdesign.org
Wed Aug 3 20:59:13 UTC 2011

I started playing around with the idea of setting up a video on demand
stream that I can play through myth.  What I was thinking was getting it
so live.twit.tv was a channel in Myth.

So I found some docs on setting up a freebox and started there.  First
thing was to get vlc going which I got to work.  It uses
http://bglive-a.bitgravity.com/twit/live/high as the input.  As the
output it uses
#rtp{mux=ts,sap,name="Twit",sdp=rtsp://192.168.1.103:8080/twit.sdp}.
Also uses sout-rtp-dst="192.168.1.103" and sout-rtp-port="1234" and
rtsp-session-timeout=-1.

All of that is in a vlm file.  The command line to start this is:
sudo vlc-wrapper -I telnet -vvv --rtsp-host 192.168.1.103:5554
--vlm-conf vlm-file

So that works and I can connect to it from multiple hosts using:
vlc rtsp://192.168.1.103:8080/twit.sdp

I then created a m3u file that looks like:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,1 - Twit
#EXTMYTHTV:xmltvid=11000
rtsp://192.168.1.103:8080/twit.sdp

So then in the back end a created a new capture card using the freebox
and pointed the m3u url to file:///home/tv/twit.m3u

I added a video source and called it "Twit.tv" and it is setup as "No
Grabber"

Then I connected in input connections the capture card to the video
source.  Scanned for channels and it came up with channel 1 (from the
m3u file I believe).

I thought I was ready to go but when I try to watch live tv it doesn't
connect to the VLC vod stream.  It just sits there and after 10 seconds
(the timeout set) it says it should have gotten something but hasn't.

I'm sure I'm close to getting this to work but must be missing
something.  Has anyone else tried doing this sort of thing?

Thanks.

--
Stephen Atkins
VE6CPU/VE6CIC