[mythtv-users] 'mythtv is idle' and wont auto shutdown/suspend

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 15:18:31 UTC 2011

On 7 August 2011 15:16, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:

> On 11-08-07 08:40 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> >
> > The timeout is for when a frontend crashes instead of shutting down
> > properly.  When shut down properly, the backend sees the frontend
> > disconnect, and knows that it has no clients connected, so is allowed to
> > shut down immediately.
>
> Right.  But that doesn't cover the case where the FE just goes to sleep
> due to idleness.
>
> > This sounds more like a system socket issue or
> > network issue than like a MythTV bug to me.
>
> I don't think it's even that complicated.  It's simply a case of a FE
> going to sleep, which, indeed would look to the backend just as if it
> crashed.
>
> I think this is simply a case of the timeout being too long and/or not
> enough is being done to determine real idleness.  A non-idle FE should
> be very easy to determine.  A FE where somebody has gotten up and walked
> away, less so, but a multi-hour timeout for that seems excessive.

i dont know the method of how the BE knows about FE status(i presume a 'keep
alive' packet), but surely this would be sent every few seconds?
also, in my case, i shut the FE down via mythfrontend so i would expect the
FE to report to the BE that it is going offline.

i think this might be an issue with my install actually. these 2 VM's
(running mythbuntu 11.04, 0.24.1 and latest updates) i've built seem to be
fine!

i've done some db maintenance (repair & optimize), so once this recording
has finished, i'll give it another go on my live setup...

b.