[mythtv-users] Comcast CableCard Info

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 18:38:46 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Under ths Conditional Access page, it say "Status: Not Staged".  The
> Copy
> >> Protection page says "Auth Status: Waiting for CP Auth".  Not sure what
> this
> >> means, but it doesn't sound good.
> >
> > Not staged? That's needs to be done before the device can be paired,
> > and it can only be done by engineers in the NOC. I think sending a
> > tech to your house is gonna do nothing but waste time for both of you.
> > I'd try calling comcast back, getting in touch with the engineers and
> > let them know your cablecard isn't even staged.
> >
> > For what it's worth, I found this thread where someone mentions that
> > apparently a lot of people are having problems with unstaged cards:
> >
> http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/CableCARD-Ceton-InfiniTV-4-tuner-Win7-Media-Center-does-not/td-p/914313
> >
> > And also, for what it's worth, I saw someone in the silicondust forums
> > having similar issues with their Prime.
>
> agreed, the techs know what needs to be done, the first person you
> talk to on the phone *does not*. Call, ask to talk to a tech. It took
> the ones in my region 1/2 a day to figure out what was wrong for me.
> For me it turned out the initial setup was done poorly so their system
> could not send the signal properly to my card.
>
> --
> Steve
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Steveadeff
> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions
> then search the Wiki, and this list,
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

I called Comcast this morning and have now spoken with three engineers.
 They are essentially following the chain of systems responsible for
triggering the outgoing validation message.  I am now awaiting a callback
from the local engineer responsible for the last system that actually sends
out the validation message.  I don't truly understand how staging happens or
if a validation message will make this happen.  The engineer did go through
the process of removing and re-adding the card to my account.  They
attempted to send a validation message a few times.

The last engineer informed me that they are purchasing a Linux box and a
Ceton card to become familiar with the platform and card.  I told them that
they may want to purchase a PRIME while they were at it.

-Tom