[mythtv-users] How to make mythbuntu 10.4 system disk clone bootable?

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 14:14:40 UTC 2011

On 8 August 2011 14:38, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> The trick is getting that done. As I said earlier (at least I think I did),
> the grub install command (grub-install?) refuses, saying something about no
> partition found. However, I can mount and read files in the partition, so
> that's not exactly true.

I have restored grub in the past after restoring filesystem backups to new
HDDs, always found this works:

http://www.robertbeal.com/562/rebuilding-grub2-grub-cfg-from-ubuntu-live-cd

Combined with info from elsewhere (the Ubuntu docs are quite useful:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2), I have used these commands from a
live CD:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda
mkdir /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
chroot /mnt bash
sudo update-grub

Hope I got that write, just quickly copied from my notes while at work,
something to look at anyway