[mythtv-users] Network Bridging my Ceton InfiniTV 4

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 01:28:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the input.  I did know and understand just about everything
>> you said.  I guess I knew more than I thought.  From what I have read
>> and witnessed, the bridge takes on the lowest MAC address of all the
>> interfaces, and my eth0 is pretty high starting with f4.  The Ceton
>> MAC address is almost always lower than eth0.  Since the ctn0 is
>> random, then br0 is random.  It may not be possible to set an IP
>> reservation in my router.  I tried the bridge_hw option to set the br0
>> MAC to that of eth0, but I get a "SIOCSIFHWADDR: Operation not
>> supported" error.
>
> I see. I didn't know how it picked it. Have you tried the following commands:
>
> ifconfig br0 hw ether 00:0a:e7:2c:44:2a
>
> or
>
> ip link set br0 address 00:0a:e7:2c:44:2a
>
> one issue might be that you need to change it before the interface is
> brought up. The page where I got these commands (
> http://backreference.org/2010/07/28/linux-bridge-mac-addresses-and-dynamic-ports/
> ) suggests using:
>
>  post-up ip link set br0 address 00:0a:e7:2c:44:2a
>
> in your /etc/network/interfaces. Up not sure you'd want to do it after
> it's up. Maybe use pre-up instead? Don't know...just guessing (my
> master backend is busy the rest of the evening, so I can't experiment
> on mine)
>
> --
> Ron Frazier

This actually worked for me:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
        hwaddress ether 00:01:01:01:01:01

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
        bridge_ports eth0 ctn0
        bridge_fd 0
        bridge_stp off

Do you see any potential problems.  The Ceton card does not seem to
support MAC address overrides, but my NIC does.  I assigned a MAC that
is extremely low.  Now I can do all my IP reservations in my router.

-Tom