[mythtv-users] unable to add new channels from Schedules Direct lineup

Don Lewis dl-mythtv at catspoiler.org
Tue Aug 9 02:29:09 UTC 2011

On  8 Aug, To: Discussion about MythTV wrote:
> I've got three input sources that share the same Schedules Direct
> lineup.  Sourceid 2 is clear QAM, sourceid 3 is everything that my STB
> -> HD-PVR can record, and sourceid 4 is used by my Prime w/CableCard.
>
> I'm trying to updated sourceid 3 and sourceid 4 from my updated
> Schedules Direct lineup, after which I'll remove the copy once channesl
> from sourceid 4.
>
> I've tried fetching the lineups for these two sources using both
> mythtvsetup and with these two variations on mythfilldatabase, but the
> new channels aren't getting added for sourceid 3.
>
> mythfilldatabase --do-channel-updates --only-update-channels \
> --do-not-filter-new-channels --sourceid #
>
> mythfilldatabase --do-channel-updates --only-update-channels --sourceid #
>
> There should be a total of 270 channels, but with all of these methods,
> I see something like this in my terminal window, and the new channels
> for sourceid 3 don't show up in the channel editor.
>
> 2011-08-08 13:40:50.699 Running for sourceid 4 ONLY because --sourceid was given on command-line
> 2011-08-08 13:40:50.699 New DB connection, total: 2
> 2011-08-08 13:40:50.700 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost
> 2011-08-08 13:40:50.702 Updating source #4 (Cable Card - Comcast Digital) with grabber schedulesdirect1
> 2011-08-08 13:40:50.703 Found 219 channels for source 4 which use grabber
> 2011-08-08 13:40:50.703 Grabbing channel data
>
> 2011-08-08 13:41:53.718 Running for sourceid 3 ONLY because --sourceid was given on command-line
> 2011-08-08 13:41:53.718 New DB connection, total: 2
> 2011-08-08 13:41:53.719 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost
> 2011-08-08 13:41:54.109 Updating source #3 (HD-PVR - Comcast Digital) with grabber schedulesdirect1
> 2011-08-08 13:41:54.110 Found 287 channels for source 3 which use grabber
> 2011-08-08 13:41:54.110 Grabbing channel data
>
> Other than an almost duplicate entry for one of the channels that I
> happened to notice in the channel editor, I don't happen to know what
> the other extra channels are for sourceid 3.

One problem that I found was that the Schedules Direct lineup data was
stale.  When I looked through all of the channels for sourceid 3 in the
channel editor, I found a bunch of missing channels as well as a bunch
of channels with incorrect channel numbers up in the 900's.  Comcast
moved those to the 700's and 800's quite some time ago.  At the time I
just used the channel editor to correct the channel numbers of affected
channels and apparently I'd never re-fetched the list from Schedules
Direct since then.

I fixed this problem by removing all of the duplicate channels (which
were probably caused by xmltvid changes) and the channels with the
incorrect channel numbers (which may not have been necessary), clicking
on the "Re-Add All Lineups" link on Schedules Direct.  When I re-fetched
the lineup for sourceid 3, it created most, though not all of the
missing channels.

No such luck with sourceid 4, though.  For some reason it just doesn't
want to create any new channels.  If I manually create a missing channel
in the channel editor and just fill in the channel number, the grabber
will fill in the rest of the information, but it doesn't seem to want to
create any new channels from scratch.  This is pretty painful because
there are now something like eighty missing channels ...