[mythtv-users] Two tuners showed up

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Tue Aug 9 12:53:59 UTC 2011

On 11-08-05 07:53 PM, Stephen Atkins wrote:
> On 8/5/2011 5:30 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:
..
>>> Thanks for the quick response.  That's what it is.  Just need to turn
>>> off that second virtual card as the 1600 can't do two digital's at once.
>>
>> You misunderstand.  Multirec means it can record multiple channels
>> from a single multiplex with a single digital tuner.  You don't want
>> to turn off the virtual tuners.  It might not do you a heck of a lot
>> of good depending on how the cable or broadcast is engineered where
>> you are, but it at least allows Myth's scheduler to record multiple
>> things at once with *just* the one digital tuner of the card if
>> multiple things you want to record happen to be on the same multiplex
>> at the same time.
>
> I'm sure I understand what he's getting at.  Some tuner cards can record
> multiple channels even from only one tuner.  I can't think of any cards
> that do this off the top of my head but I'm 99% (from all the docs I've
> read) that the HVR-1600 can't.

No, what Robert meant to say, in plain English,
is that pretty much ALL "DVB" cards can record multiple
subchannels of a single physical channel simultaneously.

So, if your local PBS station, for example, is on 17.1, 17.2, and 17.3,
then those three "channels" are actually "subchannels" of a single
physical channel.  And the HVR-1600, like just about all other tuners,
can record any combination of one, two, or all three of those simultaneously.

Cheers