[mythtv-users] Two tuners showed up

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 13:57:41 UTC 2011

> No, what Robert meant to say, in plain English,
> is that pretty much ALL "DVB" cards can record multiple
> subchannels of a single physical channel simultaneously.
>
> So, if your local PBS station, for example, is on 17.1, 17.2, and 17.3,
> then those three "channels" are actually "subchannels" of a single
> physical channel.  And the HVR-1600, like just about all other tuners,
> can record any combination of one, two, or all three of those simultaneously.

Just a couple of small points to consider. You can set the man number
of tuners on each card where the driver type indicates that it can
tune to a single multiplex and present multiple channel streams back
to mythtv for recording.

A frequency is simply a data channel and the broadcasters can use
(protocol permitting) to encode multiple tv channels into it, just
like a single ethernet connection can be transmitting different types
of data imperceptibly to the user of the computer (web browsing,
application data, file transfer, system updates and video streaming)
just think of different tv channels as different types of data.

The number of tuners for a physical tuner (where it is dvb) can be set
between 1 and 6 which allows between 1 and 6 of the channels of data
to be captured simultaneously, there is no point, but also no harm it
setting this to above the number of channels on the largest multiplex
in your region.

Remember that this is resource dependant the main issues being hard
disc throughput limits AND data-bus throughput. if your card is
connected over usb1 then the limit is very low, if over pcie then it
is high.

I record onto a single 7200rpm drive (OS is on a seperate drive and
mythvideo on a third) with 5 physical tuners and 6 total tuners
including 2 HD (1080i / h.264 in the UK btw), I did have 2 tuners on
all cards until I added the HD capable tuner but this was too much and
have reduced the total number of simultaneous user jobs to 1 from 4 in
order to stop the HDD from being overloaded and recording failing).