[mythtv-users] BBC iPlayer website request fetches mobile site

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Wed Aug 10 00:33:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 07:23:42PM -0400, Nicolas Riendeau wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 8/9/2011 7:05 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> > The BBC must be looking at the user-agent string being passed by Qt
> > Webkit and assuming wrongly that the browser is running on a mobile.
> > It's easy to fake a user-agent string just by overriding
> > QWebPage::userAgentForUrl(const QUrl&url).
> >
> > I've just made this change locally and it works fine it's just a few
> > devs tend to get their knickers in a twist when something like this is
> > discussed so not sure if it can be committed. Obviously the Qt devs
> > think it's OK to fake the user-agent string otherwise they wouldn't make
> > it so easy to do so.
>
> Do you have to pretend to be something it is not (Firefox, Opera, ie,
> etc...) or simply changing the default string for something else works?
> If it does maybe identifying the browser as MythBrowser could be an
> acceptable solution?

This discussion comes at the perfect time for me!  Although not related
to MythTV, I'm having problems with google+: it claims my browser is too
old and I can't do anything.  It was suggested that I change the user
string, and for that I installed the user agent switcher available for
firefox.  It seems to work but the sample file that comes with it is
too old, so my question is: what is the user string of the latest
firefox?  Obviously I don't want to get into upgrading firefox.

This is the sample file:

<useragentswitcher>
<useragent description="Firefox 2 (Windows XP)" useragent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0" appname="Netscape" appversion="5.0 (Windows; en-US)" platform="Win32" vendor="" vendorsub=""/>
</useragentswitcher>

I suspect that some consistency checks are done for known versions, so
just changing these fields to "best guess" values is likely not to work.

I'm using Iceweasel 3.0.6 (Firefox renamed because of Debian political
issues) and it's too old for google+.

Does anyone know what values should go into the different fields above?

Thanks.

Augustine