[mythtv-users] run script as root at startup

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Aug 10 12:35:03 UTC 2011

On 11-08-10 08:30 AM, F P wrote:

> Yes, the initscript naturally running as root after (or before) the backend
> starts, that's the goal.

Your description sounded like something completely different.  Like a
script you wanted the backend to launch, which will not be running as root.

> But how do I do it?

Well, it's somewhat distro dependent these days with just about every
distro running a different brand of init.

> Elsewhere somebody suggested to add the instances included in the script to
> the mythbackend startup script in /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend or
> /etc/init/mythbackend.conf. Is that what you mean?

That's one way to do it, yes.

> Also, I'll give the rc.local approach suggested by Phill a try.

That will probably run after the backend has been started.  From your
description it seemed you needed stuff done before the backend starts.

b.