[mythtv-users] Test drives with hdparm

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 13:52:36 UTC 2011

Hello list, I am having some pauses on MythTV, I read lots of post but
I don't know why is happening. I read this morning that it will be
about the disk transfer rate. So I check my drive.

I have a Western Digital Green 2TB drive:

Model Number:       WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Serial Number:      WD-XXXXXXXXXXXX
Firmware Revision:  51.0AB51
Transport:          Serial, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev
2.5, SATA Rev 2.6

I format with XFS this way:

mkfs.xfs -l size=64m -d agcount=4 -i attr=2,maxpct=5 -L mythfs /dev/sdb1

I mount it thi way:

# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/myth xfs noatime,nodiratime,allocsize=512m      0       0

I execute the test and this is the result:

# hdparm -tT /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
 Timing cached reads:   1326 MB in  2.00 seconds = 662.71 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 368 MB in  3.00 seconds = 122.66 MB/sec

Are thoose numbers correct? I need to configure it other way?

I have no other machine to compare the result. I save the recordings
and livetv on same drive.

Thanks for your help and best regards.

--
Josu Lazkano