[mythtv-users] Test drives with hdparm

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 15:13:06 UTC 2011

2011/8/11 Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>:
> On 11 August 2011 14:52, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> # hdparm -tT /dev/sdb
>>
>> /dev/sdb:
>>  Timing cached reads:   1326 MB in  2.00 seconds = 662.71 MB/sec
>>  Timing buffered disk reads: 368 MB in  3.00 seconds = 122.66 MB/sec
>>
>> Are thoose numbers correct? I need to configure it other way?
>
> A typical SDTV recording is usually less than 2MB/sec, so your
> transfer rate is not the problem. Do have a powerful enough CPU or
> graphics card for the video format (e.g. MPEG-2 or H.264) your
> recordings are stored in? Which playback profile are you using?
>
> I would recommend running htop to monitor the CPU usage during
> playback, and iotop to monitor IO load. These might help to narrow
> down where the pauses are coming from, if they are related to system
> load.
>
> Is your database on the same physical drive as your recordings?
>
> Have you tried playing a recording in another media player, such as
> mplayer or vlc and see if you get the same pauses?
>
> Cheers,
> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Morrott
>
> MythTV Official wiki: http://mythtv.org/wiki/

Thanks for your replys.

The system is Nvidia ION based board, I use VDPAU to playback. I try
XBMC (XBMCFreak) and it play better than MythTV, maybe is a driver
related issue.

My database is on different drive. Tonigh I will try to monitor with
htop and iotop.

Thanks for your great help, best regards.

--
Josu Lazkano