[mythtv-users] Silly question about live tv and two tuners

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Sat Aug 13 18:52:51 UTC 2011

On 08/13/2011 01:32 PM, Kris B. wrote:
> I just added a second tuner to my myth setup... Tuner 1 is normally used
> (no special rules), but if I record two different channels, well both
> work.. No problem - everything is as it should be.
>
> But, if I am recording something on Tuner 1 and I go to watch Live TV, I
> can't change the channel (except to a multiplex)... I have to actually
> tell myth to use tuner 2 with the next card button (which for some
> reason wasn't quite setup in the keybinding on the front end)...
>
> I don't really want to have to explain this to people... so, is this
> normal behavior?  Do I have to set tuner 2 to be my preference for live
> tv?
>
> Just want to make sure I am not missing an obvious setting here..
>
> I plan on adding a third card in the future, so basically I can make
> Card #3 the default for Live TV...
>
> Thanks in advance!

The tuner numbering is based on the order in which the hardware is attached to
/dev/videoX. On my system, I have a PVR500 and the selection is automatic. It is
possible to change that with udev rules. AFAICT, Live TV will always start with
tuner 1.

The selection of tuners for recording is based on the entries in the "Capture
Cards" section. Thus I have listed /dev/video2 first, followed by /dev/video1.
That setup will do what you want. Recording a single program will select tuner 2
leaving 1 available for a second recording or live TV.

Larry