[mythtv-users] Looking for "nice_names" suggestion now that storage is over nfs

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Sun Aug 14 18:32:33 UTC 2011

I recently updated my myth systems to 0.24. At the same time I moved my
storage to an external nfs system (nas appliance with builtin redundancy).

Here's my problem. When I had my recordings local to the mythbackend, I
would run the nice_names script, which would create symlinks to the
recordings with nice names, so you knew what file was what. Then from a
windows machine I could map a drive through samba, and windows would see
the file fine.

I then used an application called ZumoCast which would transcode the
recording on the fly to my ipad.

Since moving my storage to nfs, symlinks of course do not work.

I tried creating a local samba share on the mythbackend, and storing the
nice_name sumlinks there, that still point to the nfs mounted storage.
Although it "appeared" to work, samba will not serve the files from the
symlinks.

My only other idea was cygwin on the windows machine running zumocast,
but still not sure that would even work, because I need the nice name
symlinks.

Hope that all made sense. Any ideas?

Thanks,
James