[mythtv-users] Looking for "nice_names" suggestion now that storage is over nfs

Robert Longbottom rongblor at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 14 19:31:19 UTC 2011

On 14 Aug 2011, at 07:32 PM, James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com> wrote:

> I recently updated my myth systems to 0.24. At the same time I moved my
> storage to an external nfs system (nas appliance with builtin redundancy).
>
> Here's my problem. When I had my recordings local to the mythbackend, I
> would run the nice_names script, which would create symlinks to the
> recordings with nice names, so you knew what file was what. Then from a
> windows machine I could map a drive through samba, and windows would see
> the file fine.
>
> I then used an application called ZumoCast which would transcode the
> recording on the fly to my ipad.
>
> Since moving my storage to nfs, symlinks of course do not work.
>
> I tried creating a local samba share on the mythbackend, and storing the
> nice_name sumlinks there, that still point to the nfs mounted storage.
> Although it "appeared" to work, samba will not serve the files from the
> symlinks.

Symlinks over samba share work ok for me. Have you checked the "follow symlinks" samba option?  Could it be a permission problem?

I have a samba share on my myth backend that has symlinks to files on a nas (mounted on my backend using a cifs mount) and I can access the files on the nas via the samba share on my myth backend from a windows laptop.

Robert.