[mythtv-users] Just upgraded to pre-alpha, not yet finished thing that will become 0.25 with mixed results.

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sun Aug 14 22:12:06 UTC 2011

On 07/10/2011 09:31 PM, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On 11 July 2011 12:08, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> **
>> Attached is the output of the log you requested. It is probably longer than
>> you'd like, because I attempted to have it include the change of color.
>> Unfortunately during this test, the color was always wrong and never changed
>> to the correct color. I tried a bunch of different channels without luck.
>> Testing the OpenGL change will have to wait until next weekend. I will have
>> to re-install my test disk to remove the mess that the ATI proprietary
>> driver caused before I can attempt to modify the OpenGL driver.
>>
> Have you tried changing the Hue setting for XVideo playback? The ati drivers
> usaully have a different offset to everyone else - which will manifest
> itself as green/blue skintones (amongst other things). Though that wouldn't
> explain why they might change during playback.
>
> regards
>
> Mark

I happen to notice a new menu item today: Applications->Sound & Video->gxvattr

It opens in a tall skiny window  (much taller than my 2500x1600 screen) with a single tab labeled Radeon Textured Video.
In this window the items
XV_SYNC checkbox,
XV_BRIGHTNESS numerical scroll bar
XV_CONTRAST numerical scroll bar
XV_SATURATION numerical scroll bar
XV_HUE numerical scroll bar
XV_COLORSPACE checkbox
XV_CRTC numerical scroll bar

are repeated 16 times

All numerical scroll bars defaulted to zero except XV_HUE which defaulted to -1000, and XV_CRTC which defaulted to -1
Changing the XV_HUE to zero fixed the color problem in myth TV using xvblit, Unfortunately, it does not stay that way.

This does mean that I can now use the not yet finished thing that will become mythTV 0.25 to watch recordings.

Reasons to not try the thing that will become mythTV 0.25 yet:
You will piss off the developers if you do so and report about it.
Susceptible to zero length failed recordings.
"Watch TV" fails until the backend has been stopped and restarted.
Some versions of the daily build will cause segmentation faults or fail in other odd ways.

Just to be clear here, I am not asking for help with these issues. I am watching the development of 0.25 from the peanut gallery
for my own amusement.
I posted because I thought my discovery of the XV_HUE defaulting to -1000 might possibly be useful to the developers. They are
free to ignore me if they like.