[mythtv-users] Looking for "nice_names" suggestion now that storage is over nfs

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Aug 14 23:02:13 UTC 2011

On 08/14/2011 02:32 PM, James Pifer wrote:
> I recently updated my myth systems to 0.24. At the same time I moved my
> storage to an external nfs system (nas appliance with builtin redundancy).
>
> Here's my problem. When I had my recordings local to the mythbackend, I
> would run the nice_names script, which would create symlinks to the
> recordings with nice names, so you knew what file was what. Then from a
> windows machine I could map a drive through samba, and windows would see
> the file fine.
>
> I then used an application called ZumoCast which would transcode the
> recording on the fly to my ipad.
>
> Since moving my storage to nfs, symlinks of course do not work.
>
> I tried creating a local samba share on the mythbackend, and storing the
> nice_name sumlinks there, that still point to the nfs mounted storage.
> Although it "appeared" to work, samba will not serve the files from the
> symlinks.
>
> My only other idea was cygwin on the windows machine running zumocast,
> but still not sure that would even work, because I need the nice name
> symlinks.
>
> Hope that all made sense. Any ideas?

Use mythlink.pl and:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/388848#388848 (where
the linked document, "Using symbolic links with NFS" can be found at:

http://uw714doc.sco.com/en/SDK_sysprog/_Using_Symbolic_Links_with_NFS.html

now, and there's also a discussion of CIFS/Samba in the post.

Mike