[mythtv-users] Anyone tested the DVB-T2 dual tuner TBS6280?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 10:10:15 UTC 2011

Tom Hill wrote:
>On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 19:11 +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
>>  This suggests he's not really used to dealing with people for whom
>>  "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" on the command line is "advanced".
>
>Hardly surprising. Linux PVR applications still aren't that simple
>either. This mailing list would be pretty quiet if it were. You've got
>to be really lucky (or very good at picking hardware) to get off that
>without the level of involvement required for basic apt use.

On the other hand, when I setup a new box with 0.24 on it - apart
from the problems I made for myself, then all the software came from
"apt-get install ...". ... though thinking back (I've slept since
then) I did have to download the firmware blobs for the Hauppage
card. I certainly didn't compile anything.
OK, the HVR-whatever I've got in the machine isn't exactly bleeding
edge, but it is still supported "out of the box" as it were.

If/when they can get to that state (bulk of the driver in the kernel,
just needs a blob adding) then they'll have got it right IMO.

As I said earlier, I don't know how difficult it is (from some
comments, I get the impression it's "very") to make a driver where
some of it is in the kernel tree and the rest is in a kernel
independent blob. I know some purists will wince at that, but a
pragmatist would accept that it's better than having no hardware
support at all.

>Furthermore, I'd imagine most of their initial customers are *are*
>embedded solution developers too, so again, this standpoint isn't
>surprising. It is called the 'bleeding edge' for a very good reason.
>
>My opinion of Constantine's reply is that he should be commended for
>actually taking the time (out of his weekend) to reply to you, and to
>the list in general. I'm personally looking forward to seeing more of
>the aforementioned 'in-development' efforts from TBS, whom are clearly
>doing their best to provide good Linux support (despite having to jump
>the flaming NDA hoops).

I don't disagree with that. I was more commenting on the fact that
while his approach may make sense now, he doesn't seem to understand
that there are users who don't compile and hack stuff "for fun".

--
Simon Hobson