[mythtv-users] How is the stability and WAF of the master branch doing?

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 13:08:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 3:53 AM, Dale Pontius <DEPontius at edgehp.net> wrote:
> How timely.  Last night the DVD player refused to play the RifTrax
> version of "Plan 9 From Outer Space" for my son and me, so we ended up
> plugging in a mouse and using xine.  I also have a button mapped to go
> to the DVD root menu, and I'm not sure if I've seen that work at all
> since moving to 0.24.1, or if it crashes the player every time.
>
> Fortunately for the WAF, most of what my wife does with DVDs is to play
> Denise Austin exercise DVDs that I burned for her, and it works just
> fine for that.
>
> Suggestion:  When you pick "Play DVD" there's quite a pause, and you
> never know if it's going to start the DVD or fail, and if it fails the
> only notice is a little flicker, easily missed.  WIBNI when you pick
> "Play DVD" it went to some other screen until either the DVD plays or it
> fails, so there's better visual indication that it's doing something.
>
> Dale Pontius

I've had quite a few times where halfway through a movie we get to a
point that we can't get past and I end up taking 10 minutes or so to
use MakeMKV so we can finish it.

I've thrown 0.25pre (master) on to a test system and when I run across
a DVD that won't work I'll throw it in there and see if it plays
better.  So far it's handled all the DVDs I've thrown at it.  Some
minor menu glitches but no dropping to the menu.

That long DVD pause (typically from .iso files in Storage Groups)
seems to have gotten much worse in later 0.24.1-fixes git compiles.  I
dropped back to the basic 0.24.1 release package and it's much more
responsive.

Neil