[mythtv-users] MythTV dependencies and Ron's Ceton patch

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Aug 18 00:20:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Ken Truesdale <kat at tiac.net> wrote:
> Ron, thanks for your help.  For the benefit of everyone else, the problem turned out to be really simple: disk space - I didn't have much left.  Cleared out some old recordings and the Ceton tuning problem went away.
>
> I'm not sure why this would impact the Ceton and not my HDHR tuners but it doesn't really matter - the disk shouldn't be full, anyway.

Well, at least part of it is probably something to do with the way I
do the tuning. In trying to work around some issues which I thought
were the fault of my code (and now appears to have been a hardware
issue), I modified my tuning code to be a bit more robust, but it was
at the expense of some additional (though quite small) delays. I think
what is happening is that when your system is under heavy I/O load,
it's magnifying these small delays. I've got some ideas for how to
improve some of this, but some of it seems to be out of my hands (in
the logs you sent me earlier, I can see some sizable delays before my
code even begins executing). Cumulatively, the delays are probably
just enough to push it to the point where livetv gives up.

One thing that may help is to turn on the slow delete option (whatever
it's called). I think a big reason for the delays is that things slow
down considerably when the system is trying to delete a multi-gigabyte
file. The slow delete option is supposed to make this much less
noticeable (I think it gradually shrinks the file a little at a time
until it's finally down to zero, rather than just deleting it
outright). Also, I'm not sure if it would make much difference, but I
also set myth so that it keeps about 20GB of disk space free.

--
Ron Frazier