[mythtv-users] Fedora 15 gnome activities auto start issue

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Aug 18 11:44:17 UTC 2011

On 17/08/11 18:49, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 17:59:59 +0100
> Mike Perkins<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>  wrote:
>
>> On 17/08/11 16:21, Rodney Morris wrote:
>>>
>>> Any particular reason you are using Gnome 3 shell?  Have you
>>> considered using something lighter than gnome 3 shell, like xfce or
>>> lxde?  Both are in the fedora repositories.  I currently use lxde
>>> for the autologin user on my fedora based combined fe/be.  LXDE
>>> works great for the task.
>>>
>> Yep. If this is a dedicated front end, which I'm guessing it is if
>> you won't have a mouse, you shouldn't bother with Gnome at all. It's
>> just using resources myth can make better use of.
>
> In fact, you do not need a WM or DE for a dedicated frontend at all.
> I'm running frontend directly on X and it works just fine. I just made
> it to autologin and autostart X.

I discovered a nice gotcha with that approach. Having problems with minimyth I
stuck in a small HDD, loaded a minimum Mandriva 2010.2 and set 'autologin this
user' and 'autostart this program' (mythfrontend, of course).

Problem is, that's all it will do. If you want to check the logs, tough. If you
want to fix some OS config issue, tough. If you even want to set up SSH so you
can remote in, tough. Choosing 'Shutdown and exit' from the mythfrontend does,
indeed, shutdown mythfrontend, but it promptly logs out and re-logs in to the
front end again! There is /no/ way to access the OS unless you set it up beforehand.

Of course, as ever, YMMV. I managed to get minimyth working again and removed
the HDD so I no longer have that problem.

--

Mike Perkins