[mythtv-users] Interesting Problem - Can't have third PCI Card - USB Suggestions?

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Sat Aug 20 03:09:28 UTC 2011

On 08/19/2011 07:28 PM, Kris B. wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 19:21 -0700, "Kevin Ross"<kevin at familyross.net>
> wrote:
>> On 08/19/2011 04:56 PM, Kris B. wrote:
>>> So, I think I am stuck and I will be limited to 2 PCI Tuners - however,
>>> I imagine I could add a USB stick for a third tuner... any suggestions
>>> for a cheap one that works?  I am using Mandriva 2010.2, kernel
>>> 2.6.33.7-server-2mnb
>> The Hauppauge HVR-950Q works well with MythTV, at least for digital,
>> don't know about analog (if you need that).
>
> Well, would I be overtaxed with a 10/100 switch?  Maybe I should think
> of the HDHomeRun... will I be able to record to my PC and then output
> right out again to another (I have seperate frontend and backends)...

I think you'd be pushing it.  North American broadcast HDTV is 19 Mbps.
So 19 Mbps from the HDHR to the backend, then another 19 Mbps from the
backend to the frontend (actually less because of multiple streams on
the same channel).  That's 38 Mbps, of your theoretical 100 Mbps
maximum.  But you don't get the theoretical maximum.  If you record two
shows at once from the HDHR, or watch from two frontends while the HDHR
is recording, you're going to saturate your bandwidth.

But recording a single show from the HDHR while watching on a single
frontend should be fine.

Mind you, I've never actually tried it (I have gigabit throughout my
house), so take what I say with the appropriate grains of salt.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin