[mythtv-users] CableCard and FIOS

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Aug 22 13:29:09 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Billy Macdonald
<toastyfries at hotmail.com> wrote:
>      But then I got to thinking, FIOS has their multiroom DVR package.  How
> is it that they can have any shows that aren't "copy-freely" transmitted to
> other TVs, but MythTV, Tivo, and even Windows Media Center cannot do the
> same?

The way it was explained to me is that TiVo implements multi-room
viewing by actually copying the the video to non-volatile storage on
the remote unit and as such this is seen as a copy and is prohibited.
Windows Media Center streams the content into buffers in RAM and never
writes the data to disk and this is considered not a copy and
therefore allowed.  I believe the Verizon branded DVRs are similar to
the WMC method.

To anyone who understands what virtual memory is, this all seems like
a bunch of lawyers arguing over nothing.

Eric