[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Aug 22 18:42:11 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> MythTV is a networked Digital Video Recorder.  If you want a
> non-networked (since you can't do passthrough over the network) non-DVR
> application, run one instead of/in addition to MythTV.  :)

By pass-though I didn't mean to refer to some sort of direct rendering
where the capture card writes directly to video card ram, I just meant
that the data isn't written to disk, and that absolutely can be done
over the network.  But most importantly, what the "switch inputs on
the tv" and the "run a different application" solutions fail to do is
to efficiently share hardware resources with the mythtv backend.  If a
STB is being used for on-demand, the mythTV backend needs to know that
it's unavailable for recording, and the easiest way for that to happen
would be just to have support for this within mythTV itself.

Eric