[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Aug 22 19:32:15 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> The point of the "switch inputs on the TV" solution is that it doesn't
> involve MythTV or MythTV resources in any way, whatsoever.

When my wife watches on-demand content, she's using the same STB
that's connected to the mythtv backend via firewire.  There's no
locking in place beyond her looking at the upcoming schedule to see if
it looks like anything important is about to record.

> As for the "run a different application" solution, this is why there's
> an EXECTV option in the menu of MythTV.  It allows you to check out a
> capture device for use by another application.  There's also support for
> making such requests in the Python bindings.

I didn't know about that.  I'll have to look into that, thanks.

> And, as Raymond mentioned, the problem here isn't MythTV or a lack of
> dedication to (your idea of the meaning of) digital convergence.  The
> problem is the DRM that's meant to control how and where and when you
> can use Netflix streaming.

In no way did I mean to imply that mythTV's developers lack dedication
to anything, or that low latency video distribution is easy.  It's
extremely obvious that the current LiveTV mode was not optimized for
this and will not work well for this purpose.  I have no need to run
your test to know this.  I also think it's completely rational for
mythTV developers to triage this feature into oblivion.  But that does
not mean it couldn't be done or that it wouldn't be nice to have.

Eric