[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Aug 22 23:15:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 18:29:29 -0400, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>
wrote:
>> Because that's not what MythTV does.  MythTV is not a "virtual cable",
>> MythTV is a DVR.  Everything MythTV touches, it records to disk,
>> including any "livetv" sessions from a capture device attached to a
>> bluray player.
>
> Then you might want to have a chat with the folks working on the
> mythnetvision plugin, because I think they may have implemented things
> quite incorrectly.

MythNetvision has two modes of operating.  It can either DOWNLOAD content
to disk or it can play it through the browser using Flash.  When you use
Flash, you have two modes of operating.  You can stream using RTMP, which
is rarely seen outside of Hulu, or you can DOWNLOAD from a URL, and then
play the content from disk.  Even most live streams are set up as segmented
url downloads.

But rather than being pedantic, let me revise my statement to be more
specific. Mythbackend's recording capability is not for use as a "virtual
cable", but rather as a DVR.  Everything Mythbackend touches from a tuner
or capture device, such as how it was discussed to stream Netflix to remote
systems, it records to disk.  It is not designed to operate as a streaming
proxy for any interactive device, and terms of service or not, it will be a
painful experience to anyone who tries to use it as such.