[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Aug 23 18:55:59 UTC 2011

On 8/23/2011 14:10, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]

This case had nothing to do with DMCA, as no one was violating DMCA or
performing unauthorized decryption.  Kaleidescape is fully licensed by
the DVD CCA.  They have a media vault that stores all of your DVDs, and
requires that the DVD be locked in the system for playback to occur.
Rather than require a ROM to access the content at time of playback, the
content is archived to a RAID array, and streamed to the playback
device, much in the same way MythTV is set up.

The lawsuit was over whether or not Kaleidescape was in violation of
their DVD CCA license by operating in this manner.  Had Kaleidescape
been found in violation, they would have lost their license, at which
point they would be performing illegal decryption in violation of the
DMCA.  However, since they won the case and kept their license, DMCA
never factored into this at all.