[mythtv-users] ASUS Eee Box as a Myth Front End ?

Andrew Barbaccia andrew.barbaccia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 00:03:10 UTC 2011

> I haven't tried 802-11N  but I've tried B, G and A (on 5Ghz) and never
> found a wi-fi solution that has sufficient bandwidth to make a good  enough
> connection to watch video with DVD (or higher) resolution without dropouts.
> There's only about 2 other wifi networks in range of my house so I'm fairly
> sure that traffic collision isn't even a factor.  I remember when I used to
> live in an apartment complex, there were at least 10 other wifi networks in
> range, so I guess your situation might be broadly similar and that even with
> 802-11N it won't be good. Even if you get sufficient bandwidth, It only
> takes someone in the complex to turn on a microwave or something and you get
> a momentary dropout.
> Just go with wired. Its way the best bandwidth and always dropout--free.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 6:29 AM, Neil Cooper <neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

FWIW, I run my frontend on 802-11N with great success, streaming 1080p HD
from the backend. I live in NYC where I can see many (>50) wireless networks
from my apartment. I had a ton of problems running on the 2.4Ghz spectrum,
but once I flipped to 5G, all playback got really smooth. Connecting at
260Mbps Using a cisco router (E3000, dd-wrt) and cisco usb dongle (AE1000,
rt3572sta driver).