[mythtv-users] Default Recording Rule to speed-up rule creation.

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Aug 24 01:21:05 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, is there an easier way? (other than using mythweb - which I do sometimes).
>
> Changing the default dupe-detection would help, but the other pain is
> having to step through every other recording option to get to 'any
> time any channel'.  Previously a single 'left' would achieve the same
> effect but this no longer works - also is there a way to save the
> rule, without having to back all the way up to the beginning, to get
> to the 'Save' option?

I've always wanted to create some sort of default template option. My
idea was, when setting up a new rule, to have an initial page with a
list of user defined templates. You select one and it initializes all
the settings. You can then drill down to the actual settings to
customize them if you choose. I've just never had the motivation to
get it done.

My reason for wanting to do this is not for ease of setup, but rather
for consistency. The rules we setup almost always have one of 4 basic
configurations: (record on this channel or record on any channel) +
(new episodes only either on or off). Or I should say...the rules
almost always follow that way once I've fixed them. You see, no matter
how many times I tell my wife the correct way to set it up, it seems
every few months I go to review the rules and I see a bunch of rules
setup with "one showing each week". If I don't catch those quickly
enough, it inevitably leads to complaints that an episode was missed,
or if she catches it early, leads her to setup overrides to force
recordings, which occasionally has bad effects when the scheduler
doesn't have the flexibility to shift recordings around.

--
Ron Frazier