[mythtv-users] Looking for a shortcut ...

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 23:57:35 UTC 2011

So ... For years I've been treating my MythTV box as an appliance.
I've only upgraded when there was some overriding need to, because too
many approvals (wife, parents, kids, etc) and shutdowns have to happen
to upgrade the system (5 TV's, several multi-use PC's, plus the
server) ...

Last time I upgraded was due to a hardware upgrade on the server side,
and I moved to 0.23.

Last week I was in a car accident while traveling and it cracked the
motherboard on my desktop (which I had brought with me).  Massive
hardware upgrades later, I'm now up and running ... but on Debian
Squeeze instead of Ubuntu 10LTS (Ubuntu wouldn't install on my new
MoBo).

So ... now the question:

The .23 version on my other machines is an Ubuntu .deb file.
Obviously, it's expecting an Ubuntu stack underneath, but ... would it
be easier to try and replicate / force that stack and install that deb
on my new Debian system, or would it be easier to pull source and
compile from scratch (which I haven't done in years).

Let me re-iterate ... shutting down the whole system and upgrading to
0.24 is not, at this time, an option.  Nobody here wants "latest and
greatest", they want "works" and "stable" ...

Any pointers in advance would be greatly appreciated!
--
Doug

P.S. --> about the accident: Absolutely -0- people were hurt ... a
phenomenal piece of driving by my wife means she and my children, 3 of
which were in the van with her, walked away without a scratch.  I was
actually following her in the second van (with 3 more kids), so I was
only peripherally involved.  Our van and tent trailer are totaled, but
that's an insurance claim.  The only non-vehicular casualty was my
desktop.  In the long run, this will be no big deal.  In the short
term, it's painful.  --D