[mythtv-users] What is everyone using for IR Receivers ?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Aug 31 18:00:23 UTC 2011

On 8/31/11 1:14 PM, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Neil Cooper <neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk
> <mailto:neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
>

>     --- On *Tue, 8/30/11, linux guy /<linuxguy123 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:linuxguy123 at gmail.com>>/* wrote:
>

>         From: linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com
>         <mailto:linuxguy123 at gmail.com>>
>         Subject: [mythtv-users] What is everyone using for IR Receivers ?
>         To: "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>         <mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>>
>         Date: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 5:43 PM
>

>         I need a bunch of IR receivers for my front end boxes.  What
>         is everyone using ?
>
>         Thanks !
>
>         I have no idea why people automatically just  think IR. Just a
>         sugestion... Use radio frequency remotes instead.
>
>         Its a massive advantage that you don't need the mythtv box in
>         line-of-sight, (you can put it in a cupboard or entertainment
>         center with a door or whatever).
>
>         you also dont need to point your remote when you use it, and
>         it can work from anywhere in the house which is especially
>         great if youre listening to mythmusic.
>
>         I used this for a long time:
>         http://www.snapstream.com/products/firefly/ It was perfect as
>         a mythtv remote.
>
>         Now I use an learning remote with X10 from X10.com just so I
>         dont need multiple remotes. The PC end is a  CM-19a (usb X10
>         tranceiver ). Cost of remote & tranceiver together was about $50.
>
>         I can control my mythTV, stereo, any anything else I want to
>         setup with X10 such as  home lights from 1 remote. Not that I
>         have bothered to set it up, but as the CM-19a is actually an
>         X10 transceiver my mythtv box technically could directly
>         control stuff like lights, burglar alarms etc too.

> I would say cost would be the biggest reason for not going RF.  The
> second might be lack available frequencies for this type of device.  I
> have six frontends which would cost $300 and require six different RFs.

I use several of this URC RF20 remote, which you can find pretty cheaply
on eBay:

   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880120005
   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880120001

with a single RF receiver pointed at a USB-UIRT2, which is connected to
the server. Each frontend talks to the server and gets its kepresses via
IP.

Each frontend is assigned a "device" name on the remote, and all remotes
are programmed identically. This means that you can swap out the remote
in a particular room by just choosing a different device.