[mythtv-users] dvb-t2

Dave Brown davebrown099 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 09:55:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 2:26 PM, <phipps-hutton at sky.com> wrote:

> Quoting John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net>:
>
> > On 30/11/11 11:03, Dave Brown wrote:
> >> Hello list
> >>
> >> In 2012 they will be switching off the analogue signal and introducing
> >> HD over dvb-t2 in our area.
> >>
> >> I understand dvb-t2 is fairly new but are there any recommendations for
> >> a dvb-t2 card or usb device.  Preferably a dual tuner.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > I have no experience of this, but I think this link tells you the state
> > of the art for one device.  Don't try (some parts of this) at home!
> >
> >> http://stevekerrison.com/290e/

Thanks, I like the look of the nanoStick T2 290e.
Also these guys do some interesting tuners although im not sure what the
linux support is like on them yet:
http://shop.blackgold.tv/epages/BT3159.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3159/Categories/%22Retail%20Products%22

Seconded.
> I have one of these and it works fine with linux version 3.0. I have
> had it recording four programmes at once using multirec. Skipping in
> DVB-T2 streams is not perfect and only fixable by the broadcaster but
> the scrambled macroblocks disappear very quickly. If you need help
> building 3.0 on Debian stable let me know. If you have more than one
> DVB tuner you will have to fix the device names so that MythTV will
> get the right ones. I have hacked /etc/default/mythtv-backend to make
> nicely named symlinks just before the backend is started. You can type
> the nice names into mythtv-setup when channel scanning or edit the
> database afterwards.
>
> case "$1" in
>   start|restart)
>   # Make symlinks from sensible names to the DVB tuners. There are
> two types and
>   # the devices are created in any order so keep separate counts.
>   T=1
>   T2=1
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Tim.

With regards to the symlinks, I already use udev to set map my device
filenames but in a different way which you may prefer:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Device_Filenames_and_udev

Thanks