[mythtv-users] Newbie

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 12:58:48 UTC 2011

Ok, first could you tell us where you are and what television service you
are looking to receive?
In the uk we have many services each requiring different configurations...

Free view - requires a simple and cheap dvb-t tuner
Free view hd - requires an expensive db t2 tuner and has early support only
(new drivers and software that are likely to still have issues)
Topup tv - requires a tuner card with CI slot.

Sky and virgin both need you to grab the video using something like an Hdhr

I would suggest having a"backend"in a closet and either running a long hdmi
cable to your tv or a network cable and having a quiet frontend in your
lounge.

The back end should have at least two harddiscs one for os and a separate
one for storage. A dual core pc wlbe sufficient although more power may be
desired for lots of recording, commercial flagging and transcoding.

I have a cupboard above my lounge where the combined front and back end is
located (and amplifier, settop boxes et al) then I use hdmi down the wall
to the tv and network to other front ends.

My back end is overkill it is a quadcore q6600 with an nvidis graphics
card. I would pick a more efficient system next tome around as it its
running 24x7 (myth has the capability to shutdown the system when not
recording but I have never got around to setting this up, the system is
often doing other things anyway as it is the file print dns dhcp ssh vpn
server, etc).

One off the i5 processors runs at 35w tdp and is basically as powerful as
my q6600 which uses 85w tdp...

also consider how you want the system controlled. I specifically want a one
remote system and very little equipment on show. I use a ps3 remote and
have the server control everything, there are many ways to achieve this
with myth.

Please excuse brevity and pistakes as this email was composed on a mobile
phone.

Thanks and best regards,
Richard Morton