[mythtv-users] mythpreviewgen using 100% cpu

Greg Grotsky spikeygg.mythbox at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 14:00:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:51 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> I had this happen to me one time (that I know of) under 0.24. I saw
> the process was running at 100%, and when I looked at the output from
> ps, the process had been running for 2 weeks (presumably at 100% that
> whole time). In my case, I'm not using an HD-PVR. Only a Ceton and a
> HDHomerun (which is configured, but doesn't actually get used
> anymore). Only saw it that one time, so I figured it's just a fluke
> and didn't think much of it.

I have an HD Homerun setup (and a single pcHDTV HD-3000 card).

What you describe Ron is exactly what I have experienced.  About three
times now I've noticed that my CPU usage was at 100% due to mythpreviewgen
and the machine was not recording, nor transcoding anything (and hadn't for
some time).  The process was started days ago.  I don't know what that code
does but it appears to get stuck on some recordings and hangs consuming cpu
cycles.

Thanks,
-Greg