[mythtv-users] Newbie

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Dec 3 08:39:46 UTC 2011

Eric Sharkey wrote:

>  > As to mirroring two drives. I suspect the throughput would be fairly
>>  close to the throughput available on the slowest drive.
>
>That's true for writing, since you need to write to both drives.  Read
>performance is another matter, since you don't need to read from both.
>  The read performance from a raid 1 set should be better than either
>drive individually.

Correct.

>That said, any modern disk drive is going to easily cope with multiple
>HD streams both in and out, so this is not generally a bottle neck on
>system performance for typical mythTV usage.

No, it's been flogged to death before. Whether SD or HD, the limit
you tend to hit first is the ability of the disk to seek back and
forth quickly enough. Streaming rate to or from the disk is almost
irrelevant unless you only have one stream going.
Yes modern drives are good, but it's still fairly easy to exceed their limits.

--
Simon Hobson