[mythtv-users] Setting up a backend on Ub11.10

SiR GadaBout sirgadpc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 06:49:15 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a laptop running Ubuntu 11.10 Server (64-bit). It is essentially
headless and managed entirely over SSH. My plan is to attach a USB digital
TV tuner and serve live TV to my local network machines running OS X 10.6.8
and iOS5. I'd also need to be able to perform remote scheduling of
recordings.

I don't have a great deal of space on the laptop (whilst it currently runs
on a 80GB HDD, I'll eventually be migrating it to a 16 or 32GB USB flash
drive), so I'm trying to keep a tight rein on what gets installed. I'm also
trying to keep a tight rein on running services in order to keep power
requirements down (UK energy companies are raising prices all the time).

I've found several How-Tos regarding MythTV, and this seems like a good
solution. However, I'm not entirely satisfied with the number of
dependencies that are installed by apt-get, and would like to cherry-pick
only the truly required packages for my needs.

For example, a How-To from 3 years ago (
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/Server/Backend) tells me
to start by installing xmltv. This is what I get:

"The following NEW packages will be installed
 libarchive-zip-perl libclass-inspector-perl libclass-load-perl
 libclass-methodmaker-perl libclass-singleton-perl libconvert-binhex-perl
 libdate-manip-perl libdatetime-format-strptime-perl libdatetime-locale-perl
 libdatetime-perl libdatetime-timezone-perl libdigest-hmac-perl
 libemail-address-perl libemail-find-perl libemail-valid-perl
 libexporter-lite-perl libfcgi-perl libfile-slurp-perl libhtml-fromtext-perl
 libhtml-tableextract-perl libhttp-cache-transparent-perl
 libhttp-server-simple-perl libio-stringy-perl liblingua-preferred-perl
 liblist-moreutils-perl liblog-tracemessages-perl libmath-round-perl
 libmime-tools-perl libnet-dns-perl libnet-domain-tld-perl libnet-ip-perl
 libossp-uuid-perl libossp-uuid16 libparams-validate-perl
 libparse-recdescent-perl libregexp-common-perl libsoap-lite-perl
 libtask-weaken-perl libterm-progressbar-perl libterm-readkey-perl
 libtext-bidi-perl libtie-ixhash-perl libtk-tablematrix-perl
 libunicode-string-perl libwww-mechanize-perl libxml-dom-perl
 libxml-libxml-perl libxml-libxslt-perl libxml-namespacesupport-perl
 libxml-parser-perl libxml-perl libxml-regexp-perl libxml-sax-expat-perl
 libxml-sax-perl libxml-twig-perl libxml-writer-perl libxml-xpath-perl
 libxmltv-perl libyaml-syck-perl perl-tk xmltv xmltv-gui xmltv-util
0 upgraded, 63 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 13.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 78.7 MB of additional disk space will be used."

It seems like a heck of a lot to install just so that I can grab TV
schedules from the web.

Similarly, when it comes to the core MythTV packages, the How-To recommends
installing mysql-server, mythtv-backend and mythtv-database. What I get is
this:

"The following NEW packages will be installed
 libasyncns0 libaudio2 libavc1394-0 libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libflac8
 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa libglu1-mesa libiec61883-0
 libjson0 liblcms1 libllvm2.9 libmng1 libmp3lame0 libmysqlclient16
 libmyth-0.24-0 libmyth-python libmythtv-perl libnet-daemon-perl
 libnet-upnp-perl libplrpc-perl libpulse0 libqt4-dbus libqt4-declarative
 libqt4-designer libqt4-network libqt4-opengl libqt4-qt3support
libqt4-script
 libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4
 libqtgui4 libqtwebkit4 libraw1394-11 libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2debian-alsa
 libsndfile1 libutempter0 libvdpau1 libvorbisenc2 libxaw7 libxcb-shape0
 libxmu6 libxpm4 libxtst6 libxv1 libxxf86dga1 libxxf86vm1 mysql-client-5.1
 mysql-client-core-5.1 mysql-common mysql-server mysql-server-5.1
 mysql-server-core-5.1 mythtv-backend mythtv-common mythtv-database
 mythtv-transcode-utils pwgen python-lxml python-mysqldb python-support
qdbus
 ttf-dejavu ttf-dejavu-extra ttf-droid ttf-liberation x11-utils xbitmaps
 xterm zenity zenity-common
0 upgraded, 77 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 91.9 MB/92.8 MB of archives.
After this operation, 261 MB of additional disk space will be used."

I actually discussed this with some of the devs on the mythtv IRC channel,
who confirmed my suspicions that many of the packages listed above were
not, in fact, necessary for a MythTV-Backend setup. However, because they
do not officially support a backend/frontend setup split between different
machines, they were unable to help me further.

If someone could advise me how to go about installing only the precise
packages required for my needs, I'd be grateful.

Many thanks,

S.