[mythtv-users] How to make the LIRC_DEVICE static in Fedora 16

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 04:48:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Anthony Giggins
<seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:

> On 8 December 2011 11:20, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I posted some issues I was having with lirc after upgrading to Fedora
>> 16.  I determined that the real issue was that the lirc device was
>> changing on reboot each time, so my line in /etc/sysconfig/lirc for
>> LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/event6" would not do anything unless I
>> happened to be lucky on a reboot.  I would have to manually change
>> this.  Complicating matter, it looked like xorg was recognizing
>> certain of the remote keypresses as keyboard buttons so it would do
>> some funky stuff (like try to change the gnome volume and other
>> issues).  When I have the right entry in /etc/sysconfig/lirc, then
>> lirc takes precedence.
>>
>> I tried the documentation in the wiki for making it static by adding a
>> symlink and putting that path in the sysconfig file, but that did not
>> help.  Can anyone offer suggestions?  I have it working and when I
>> reboot, I can modify the file and restart xorg and lirc to get it to
>> work, but this is a less than ideal situation in case I ever need to
>> reboot.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> You could always use
>
> LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_0036-event-mouse" or where ever
> /dev/input/event6 actually points too if you know the usb id
>
> Cheers,
>
> Anthony

Anthony,

Can you let me know how to figure out where that points to?  Here is
the output from lspci -v:
Here is what lspci -v
reports about the PVR-350 card, which has my IR receiver:
03:06.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15
MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
       Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR-350
       Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
       Kernel driver in use: ivtv