[mythtv-users] CableCard surprise

David Engel david at istwok.net
Fri Dec 9 15:15:45 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 12:03:37AM -0500, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> > FYI, when I first tried the 888-553-1555 number reported by my FIOS
> > cable card, I spent 30-40 minutes on hold before I got to a human only
> > to find out that was the billing department.
>
> Turned out my card had the same phone number, and I called it up after the
> wife and kids went to sleep.  I called around 10:45pm, and a tech picked up
> around 11:10pm.  After he verified that the selfinstall page gave him the
> same error it was giving me, he worked in silence for a while, then took my
> host id and data numbers.  He put me on hold a few times, finally verified
> my phone number and told me he'd call me back in 20 minutes.  About 15
> minutes later he called back, I refreshed the Prime status page, and it was
> activated.  I tried to ask him what the problem was, but he didn't go into
> detail except to say it was an "epic quest" involved re-inputting a bunch
> of data into their system.  A little over an hour from start to finish, but
> it's working, yay.
>
> He also told me he had no idea why they sent me the digital adapters and
> that I could just send them back or take them into a Verizon store.

Glad you got it working.  FYI, if you ever need to reauthorize your
card, you can sometimes do it without the need of a tech as long as
your numbers haven't changed.  When you get to the television section
of the automated phone support, say "cable card".  It will then give
you an option to send the appropriate reset message to your card.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net