[mythtv-users] Planning to rebuild Myth backend, just need database?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Dec 17 17:56:13 UTC 2011

On 12/17/2011 08:51 AM, Brendan wrote:
> On 12/18/2011 12:10 AM, Bob Wiegand wrote:
>> On 12/16/2011 10:34 AM, Mark Boyum wrote:
>>> I'm sure you're aware but as it isn't mentioned, it is best to use the
>>> same hostname and IP for the fresh OS installation.  This avoids extra
>>> work when restoring the DB.
>> Also keep your Myth recordings videos, photos, etc. in the same directorys.
> I'll be doing this shortly also.  Couldn't you just dump the database
> and do a search/replace on hostname, IP's and directory paths if needed
> then re-import?

If you change host name, at least use:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend

but note that it significantly increases the chances of a mistake--you
have to change the host name at exactly the right time, and if you
forget to do it before you start any MythTV application, you'll have to
name, then change host name" approach.

As far as paths, you should change them using the tools (i.e.
mythtv-setup for Storage Groups or mythfrontend settings for any plugin
directory paths).  This can be done at any time, but it's just one more
thing to have to reconfigure.

So, in both cases, keeping it the same has the huge benefit of making
your life much easier.  :)

Mike